A strange problem started to show up with certain Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 client computers using Direct Access for HQ connection. The client computer is trying to connect through the Direct Access tunnel and the error it shows when you click on the Direct Access connection name is “IPv6 is disabled. Contact your admin for help”. We have not made any changes to the clients IPv6 settings nor have changed any of the Group Policy Objects concerning Direct Access.
After some digging I found out that the IPv6 protocol on the client computer has been Disabled using the registry. You can check it by opening the registry editor and going to the hive:
There should be a DWORD key with the name DisabledComponents that has a value different from 0x00000000 (in my case the value of 0x0000008e was added).
All you have to do is either delete this key or set it to 0x00000000 and restart the computer.
After I set it to 0 and restarted the computer the Direct Access connection started working again.