With the new version of CentOS (6.5) and the new version of Microsoft’s Linux Integration Services (LIS) 3.5 we don’t need to add a legacy network adapter first and then change it with a standard network adapter. This is a step by step guide for installing LIS on a Microsfot Hyper-V Server virtual machine running CentOS 6.5.
- Create new VM with a standard Network Adapter.
- Download CentOS 6.5 minimal if you want to install a server without GUI or CentOS 6.5 if you need the server with the GUI. You can download it from www.centos.org
- Download LinuxICv3.5.iso (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41554)
- After the installation of CentOS is finished mount the LinuxICv3.5.iso
- To copy and install the Integration Services package type the following commands:
mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cp -rp /mnt/cdrom /opt/linuxIC
After the installation of the Integration Services is finished you can update your network settings using VI:
The settings should look something like this. To start typing just click i (insert mode):
HWADDR=(this is where your MAC address will be. You can check if it is the same as the MAC address assigned to the machine in Hyper-V)
IPADDR=(You will enter your static IP address here)
NETMASK=(Type your network mask here)
GATEWAY=(Your default gateway IP)
DNS1=(Primary DNS Server IP)
DNS2=(Secondary DNS Server IP)
You can save your file by clicking ESC and then entering :wq.
After you set up your IP address you have to bring the interface UP:
ifconfig eth0 (IP) netmask (MASK) up
The last thing you have to do is restart networking:
service network restart
You can enter your DNS servers in the file /etc/resolv.conf. You don’t need to specify them in the ifcfg-eth0 file for your interface.
nameserver (Primary DNS server IP)
nameserver (Secondary DNS server IP)
If you need to add a special route for your network you can add it in a file named /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0
You can add your hostname and gateway in a file named /etc/sysconfig/network like this:
GATEWAY=(Your Gateway IP)
If you don’t need the firewall on your server you can disable it by using this commands:
service iptables save
service iptables stop
chkconfig iptables off