Random ramblings

of a System Administrator

Installing Forefront Unified Access Gateway 2010 service packs


Recently some of our users started complaining that they get a strange error every time they try to access a sharepoint page published through our UAG 2010 Sp1 server. They all have Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 so they started getting the mobile access page instead of the usual UAG access page.

I’ve tried to trick the browser using the developer mode in internet explorer and set it to emulate an older version of Internet Explorer but couldn’t make it work.

The only thing left to do was to update our UAG server to the latest service pack (SP4) which supports Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11.

Microsoft claims that if you are doing an in-place update or installation of a service pack for UAG 2010 that the setup process takes care of the export, update and import of the configuration. As I found out 2 hours later after my initial SP installation, that is not true. The first strange thing is that the UAG service packs are not cumulative. If you have Forefront UAG 2010 SP1 update rollup 1 installed you will have to install first SP2, then SP3, then update rollup 1 for SP3 and in the end SP4. And every time you upgrade you will have to do a configuration update using the Config Update utility.

Before you begin the procedure I advice you do either a snapshot if your server is a virtual machine, or a DPM backup of the virtual machine. We are using Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 so I’m going to do a virtual machine backup before I start the procedure.

After you create a backup or a snapshot you need to do an export of your configuration. Open the UAG console and select export from the menu. Save the file and please don’t forget the password 🙂

The installation of all the service packs is pretty straightforward. If your server has UAC enabled you will have to start a CMD in administrator mode and start the update from there.

You should always restart the server after every update. After the restart check if your configuration got imported properly. Mine wasn’t so I had to start the Configuration Update utility (you can find it in Common\Bin directory).

The whole process lasted a little over 2 hours on our UAG server. After that the users with Windows 8.1 had no trouble accessing the sharepoint webpage.


Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.